What kind of blog is ‘Don’t forget the rice’?
Its a lifestyle blog about travel/food/language/relationships/culture that focuses on one main theme, Indonesia. If it has something to do with the country or its people, or our (Isan and I) lives in and out of the Archipelago than you can bet I will write about it here.
Why did you start the blog?
I noticed that many bloggers were already writing about tourism in Indonesia, Bali in particular but not about manners, culture, religion and the people of Indonesia. I wanted to start the blog to provide a different perspective. I, Simone don’t associate my self with the foreigner crowd or the local crowd. I fit somewhere in between both.
What is your fiance, Isan’s role on the blog?
Isan likes to hang out in the background, so he plays photographer, editor and culture adviser.
Short term goals for ‘Don’t forget the rice’?
- Post at least 3 times a week
- Expand readership
- Gain sponsorship
Long term goals for ‘Don’t forget the rice’?
- For the blog to be a platform for positive discussion to create more cultural awareness and understanding.
- Be seen as an authentic source for information about the real Indonesia and its people
- To be able to support up and coming Indonesian creatives
- For Isan and I to be seen as role models for cross-cultural relationships and to inspire others to work together no matters their differences
- To be able to support ourselves from proceeds of the blog
- World peace
- Strengthen my language skills
- Learn how to ride a Vespa
- Explore other Indonesian islands not visited before
- Get married
- Open an Indonesian restaurant with Isan n Australia one day
- Start a skill swap NGO, that allows foreigners and Indonesians to learn skills from one another. Individuals could donate their time, rather than money.
- Open a Non-for profit respite centre in Bali where tourists/expats etc can come and hang out with Indonesians in a relaxed and inclusive environment.
How long have you and Isan been dating?
Coming up to 3 years in October. We have been engaged for 1 year.
How did you both meet?
We meet through mutual friends whilst I was studying Bahasa Indonesia at Universitas Gadjah Mada, Jogjakarta.
-If you have any other questions please contact me via here